Being a house with a lot of girls, it is easy for us to come down hard on guys and not understand them. However, I think that as girls, we need to be reminded of the things we should do for the guys in our life: fathers, brothers, boyfriends, and husbands.
Disclaimer: I do not claim to be an expert on the subject, this is just what I have learned.
1. Let them be gentlemen. It is easy for us to do things ourselves, but let them and even encourage them to open doors, let you go first in line, and what-not. Even when it would be easier for you do something yourself, letting guys act like gentlemen is important.
2. Defer to them. Let them be the leaders in small and large situations. Many girls get frustrated when guys won’t lead, but they take charge of the situation when they enter the room. There are times for girls to lead (of course), but girls should be looking for ways to defer to the godly men God has placed in their lives.
3. Believe what they say. If a guy says he just wants to be friends, assume that is what he means. If you brother says he is fine, trust that is how he feels. We girls often try to read more into situations, and sometimes there is more. However, let us respect guys by believing what they say.
4. Be careful how you dress. No, you are not responsible for what a guy thinks, but you are responsible for the messages you send.
5. Be Submissive. Submission has become a bad word for girls, but it is what God calls us to to the authorities in our lives. Submission takes different forms, because people and situations are different. However, read your Bible and find out who and how God has called you to submit to the men who hold authority in your lives: Fathers, church leadership, and husbands.
6. Be honest. Guys are not like girls. They don’t pick up on the subtleties as much as girls do. Don’t say you are fine if you are not. Be honest even it is painful.
7. Just tell them. Guys do not get subtle hints most of the time. Don’t frustrate them by expecting them to pick up on them. Just tell them. It is kinder to them and often will save a lot of issues.
8. Don’t expect perfection. Guys are going to make mistakes, because we live in a fallen world. Don’t make them live up to the standards of your favorite actor, book character, or idea of the perfect guy/Dad/brother/husband.
9. Don’t expect them to understand. They don’t understand some things about girls, because they are different. Don’t expect them to understand hormone shifts and how the girl mind works except on a basic intellectual level.
10. Pray for them. Pray for the guys in your life every day. Just as you battle with struggles every day, so do they. Never cease to pray for them.