10 Things Guys Should do for Girls6:00 AM
Disclaimer: I do not claim to be an expert on the subject. This is just what I have learned.
1. Let us be ladies. Some girls find it hard to accept things like opening doors and other courtesies, but don’t stop. Encourage girls to accept your chivalrous gestures as a way to honor and respect them.
2. Ask for our input. Especially the quiet girls, ask them what they think about a situation or a plan. You sister that is normally silent or that shy girl at church probably has some ideas, and just needs someone to reach out them. Also, girls are more content to let men lead, if the man first listens.
3. Understand we are emotional. You probably won’t understand us sometimes, probably because we don’t understand ourselves at times. Girls feel as much as they think. Sometimes the way they feel cannot be explained logically.
4. Don’t blow off the hormone thing. When you say to a girl that she is upset, crying, or some other emotion just because of hormones, this does not help. Many of us would love to be able to have control of what we feel when our hormones are shifting, but we don’t. We can only control how we act, and sometimes we cannot do that well. Don’t try to fix us when we are not reasonable, just be there for us.
5. Lead us. Often we are leading because we feel like guys aren’t doing anything. Refer to number two on this list and then take charge and lead as Christ called you to.
6. Be honest (and kind). Girls need honesty from guys even when it hurts them. If you think a dress is immodest, be honest enough to say something (Dads and brothers, this means you). If you don’t know something, just say so. If you feel you don’t understand what a girl needs, ask instead of guessing. Do all of this in kindness, because girls often need an extra dose of kindness with honesty.
7. Be upfront. This one is mostly for guys outside a girl’s family. Be upfront about what kind of relationship you are looking for. Girls are quick to interpret actions as interest (yes, this is a failing of ours). Being upfront saves a lot of heart-ache. However, make sure your actions line-up with what you are saying. Spending a lot of one-on-one time with a girl after saying you just want to be friends will still give many girls the wrong idea.
8. Don’t expect perfection. We are going to make mistakes because we live in a fallen world. Don’t make girls live up to the standards of your favorite actress, book character, or idea of the perfect girl/mother/sister/wife.
9. Encourage Us. I have watched amazing things happen when guys encourage girls. Girls want affirmation from men. So Dads, brothers, husbands, and friends, when you see a girl standing on principles, consider complementing her. When a girl is taking flack for her convictions, stand up for her.
10. Pray for Us. Pray for the girls in your life every day. Just as you battle with struggles every day, so do we. Never cease to pray for them.